Walking Tour #1
1. Webster Park, 1984. Founded by Goshen Restoration Unlimited, Inc
2. Orange County Court House, 1841. Housed criminal and civil court sessions until 1970. Designed by Thorton M. Niven, eminent Hudson Valley Architect.
3. County Building, 1887. For years housed all the Orange County Government offices. Restored in 1990-91.
4. Minisink Memorial, 1862. Commemorates the 1779 sacrifice of local men and youth who fought in the Battle of Minisink in the Deerpark area.
5. Orange Blossom Monument, 1907. Memorializes the Orange Blossoms volunteers of the Civil War. Erected by Colonel Thomas W. Bradley of Walden, a youthful officer in the war.
6. Goshen United Methodist Church, 1884. Architecturally notable edifice with fine brickwork accented by terra cotta trim.
7. Orange Inn, 1790. First hotel, built on site of the 1737 Court House. From here Ulysses S. Grant watched horse races on Main Street.
8. Goshen Library and Historical Society, 1918. The building was made possible by a bequest from Charles Everett. Repository of local historical archives.
9. Maplewood, 1816. Residence of Ambrose Murray, it housed the National Bank of Orange County for years. Since 1976 it has been the Village Hall.
10. Hall of Fame of the Trotter, 1913. Originally a stable, it became a museum in 1951 for harness racing memorabilia.
11. Lawyers Row, circa 1840s and 1850s. Traditionally the offices of attorneys.
12. Historic Track at Park Place, 1838. First half-mile harness track in the U.S., it is on the National Register of Historic Places.
13. Goshen Inn, 1912. Built by Roland Harriman and other patrons of harness racing, the structure is an exact replica of an Elizabethan inn in Melbourne, England.
14. First Presbyterian Church, 1871. The altar’s 3-panel Tiffany window was the gift of Gates McGarrah, an international banker who got his start in Goshen. The first church on this site was built in 1720.
15. Wisner Memorial, 1897. Raised in honor of the patriot Henry Wisner, delegate to the Continental Congress and opponent of the Constitution, by his granddaughter, Frances Wisner Murray.
16. St. James Episcopal Church, 1803. The fine stone chapel was rebuilt in 1812 following tornado damage.
Walking Tour #2
A. Town Hall, 1773. Incorporates the schoolhouse where Noah Webster taught in 1782-83, the predecessor of Farmer’s Hall of Fame Academy, established in 1789. Now the seat of government for Goshen Township.
B. Goshen Healing Center, circa 1764. One of Goshen’s oldest houses.
C. Everett Memorial, 1917. Erected in memory of the soldiers and sailors who served in the Civil War.
D. Edward Henry Harriman Fountain, 1911. Erected by the Orange County Horse and Road Improvement Association in Memory of E.H. Harriman.
E. Village Police Station, 1852. Originally the Erie Railroad Station, it was restored in 1987.
F. St. Charles Designs, circa 1900. Site of Goshen’s first hospital, opened in 1908.
G. Dikeman Engine and Hose No. 3, 1880. First used by the Village Board, the building was taken over by the Dikeman fire company (established 1873) in 1885.
H. Purdy Hall, 1869. Originally a community meeting place, restored in 1986.
I. K.W. Sheeleigh Building, 1865. Constructed as a bank, restored in 1985.